The laboratory of Dr. Yu Shin Kim is seeking to fill two postdoc fellow positions to conduct research on basic, technically advanced and translational aspects of pain. The positions will be available immediately, and will be supported by new faculty startup funding at UTMBSOM. Research topics in the lab include:
- Identifying novel plasticity mechanism underlying the transition from acute to chronic pain
- Examining the mechanism of Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD)
- Determining the mechanism of ongoing pain and evoked pain
- Characterizing the contributions of central terminal hypersensitivity of DRG neurons to chronic pain
- Uncovering the mechanisms by which damages in skin nerve terminal contributes to chronic pain conditions
The lab will use following approaches to accomplish the goals, behavioral assessment of nociception in rodents, fluorescence, multiphoton microscopy, in vivo imaging tools, immunohistology, basic molecular biology and protein biochemistry, and/or electrophysiology.
Candidates must have completed the requirements for the PhD degree or equivalent (neuroscience or a related scientific discipline) by the time of beginning their fellowship. They should also have a strong record of biomedical research accomplishment. Experience and training in electrophysiology is preferred but not required. Prior experience in in vitro or in vivo time-lapse imaging will be appreciated.
In addition, the successful candidates for a position should display the following characteristics:
1) Strong motivation
2) Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team to carry out creative and advanced pain research
3) Strong record-keeping skills
4) Ability to rationally design, execute, and interpret experiments
5) Willingness to work with experimental rodents
Applicants interested in the position should send their curriculum vitae, along with contact information for three references, to Dr. Yu Shin Kim at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the subject line: Postdoc fellow Positions.